I'm writing this in the hopes that others like me may share their stories of change at mid life. I am about to sell a business that I built from scratch 13 years ago. It has been very successful, but I wanted to sell it when it was still "on top" and thirteen years is a LONG time doing the same thing. The thing is, I don't really quite know what I want my next business to be. So I've decided to take a year (or more) off to do things I've always wanted to do, but never could because of time constraints. Am I part of the slow movement?
There is a book in my "favorites" list by Elizabeth berg entitled,"The Pull of the Moon". In it, the 50ish woman heroine decides to go off on a driving trip and just pay attention to the ordinary things of life and ponder her own life while she's at it. She doesn't tell her husband where she's going, but checks in just to let him know she is safe. She watches people in small, nothing-towns interact with each other, she speaks to strangers, she stops at strange tourist attractions. She learns a lot from her experiences and goes home eventually with a greater handle on herself.
Well, I don't really want to do that per se, but I do want the time to explore the world, try new things (like wallpapering), revive old things (like sewing) , read on the porch, garden, volunteer and maybe work at a manual type job, just for the "zen" of it.
I wasn't going to write much on this first post, but once you get going...
I feel sort of scared and brave at the same time. But ultimately, I feel that I've made the right decision.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment